Sunday, March 15, 2009

Fun with Nana and the Job search

Just to give the update to all who care, we found out a little over a month ago that the firm that Garrett has worked for over the past two years who we were sure would hire him, is not going to be able to due to the current economic situation. We were immediately thrown into a panic and the job search began at full speed. We have applied for jobs all over the west, and then last week during Garrett's spring break he flew out to WA state to interview and make contacts with some firms there. He focused his search on the Tri-Cities area. The trip went well, but we still know nothing for sure. We are just praying every second that something will work out and soon. The Lord has always delivered us and we have no doubt that he will again, but the waiting and not knowing is killing me.

On the plus side, my mom came out to help with the kids while Garrett was gone last week since I am pregnant and have lower amounts of energy and patience than usual. The kids were so excited to have Nana here that they didn't miss Daddy too much. We had a lot of fun.

Rylynn loved doing the baby pony dance show with Nana (it's from the my little pony movie) and playing with her new foam stuff she got for her birthday. It is the coolest stuff. It is like playdough, but it doesn't make a big mess and it never dries out.

The last day that Nana was here the kids were begging us to go swimming since they always associate Nana with swimming because she has a swimming pool. So we called around and found this really fun community rec center in Strongsville that had a kids pool with a big pirate ship and lots of slides. The kids loved it. The water was really warm and it was a zero entry pool which my kids love.

They also had a basketball hoop and water basketballs which Carter was obsessed with. He wanted Nana to lift him up to shoot the balls in the hoop the whole time. Then whenever he went down the slides he had to take the balls with him.

We had a tough time pulling the kids away from the pool but we bribed them with Wendy's on the way home so they finally agreed.


The other update that I have to post about is Carter's new big boy bed. We had talked for awhile about getting Carter out of his crib and into a bed, but we really didn't want to spend a ton of money on a new bed right before we move, so Garrett decided that he really wanted to make Carter a toddler bed. He bought all the wood and with help from our friend who can make anything they drew up the plans and put it together. Our friend also has every tool imaginable which made it much cheaper than it would have been. Thanks for all your help Bryan! The bed turned out so cute and Carter absolutely loves it! He always says, "Daddy make new bed!" The kids also loved "helping" Garrett put the rails on to complete the bed. Carter and Rylynn used their pretend tools and worked on it the whole time alongside Daddy. Carter loved to say, "Mama, we're fixing new bed!" Garrett did a great job! We are going to paint it white eventually, but he finished it just before he went out of town, so for now it is unfinished.

8 comments:

Draper's said...

Bummer I was so excited for you to live close so we could hang out. However, I am sure he will find a great job. I love Carter's new bed. Your mom is so great!! Swimming looks like tons of fun.

Summer said...

The bed turned out cute, Garrett! Good job!

Carissa Poyfair said...

I am totally trying out that swim place! It looks like a lot of fun. The bed turned out so cute too

Telitha said...

Wow! Awesome bed! Good luck on the job search... I hope everything works out for the best! Also, belated congrats on #3!!!

Alison Day said...

Way to go Garrett! That is such a cute little bed! We are praying for you guys with the job situation and are sure everything will work out (we just really want you to stay HERE for the summer whatever you decide!) I'll have to get the details on the swim place - it looks like so much fun!

Lane family said...

I feel your pain with the job stuff. NOT fun. I know it gets old hearing that it will work out... but it will. 3 days ago we had nothing- and I was feeling a teensy bit suicidal. Today we're stressed over 3 different residencies. We can't decide between 2 of them... and we have to decide NOW. Good luck! You'll be in our prayers. LOVE the bed... and we should all have a giant playdate at the swimming pool before everyone moves.

Mom Marilynn said...

ahhhhhhhhhh some awesome memories! Since I never got to see Garrett, I forgot to tell him how proud Dal is of him! Things will work out, all our prayers and Nathan's fasting will be rewarded! Maybe not until the trial is over and the very last day looms near, but it will all work out for the best!

Abigayle said...

Wow, nice work Garrett. Be careful about letting Grandma Allred know about this, she'll have a whole list of projects for you up at the cabin! Mom looks like she's about 30 years old in that picture at the pool. Those are some cute kids, Rach! Rylynn monopolizing the crabs definitely takes me back. It's amazing I turned out as normal as I did. =D