Thursday, July 15, 2010

Miss Independent

My little Rylynn is so independent these days!  We have a new chore/behavior chart in our house and it has proven how responsible she is.  She will get up and go to the chart and get all her chores done first thing.  We are so proud of her!  Just to prove how independent she is I have to share the following story:

So Rylynn has been begging us for weeks to take off her training wheels on her bike.  This all started when two of her friends on the street started riding their bikes without training wheels.  However, their bikes are the tiny little kid bikes like Carter's size so we told Rylynn that it wouldn't be as easy for her since she had a much bigger bike.  She did not care and was determined!  Now in our defense, we know how Rylynn is and we knew she would be so disappointed if she couldn't do it and she would just get frustrated and never want to ride her bike.  That is why we procrastinated the day of removing the training wheels.  Well, she had other plans...so as we are going in one night Rylynn hops on the neighbor girl's little bike and says, "hey mom and Dad watch this!"  Then she proceeds to hop on and cruise all around the cul-de-sac like she'd been doing it for years.  Garrett and I just looked at each other in amazement!  So we asked Rylynn how she did it and she said, "I don't know, I just got on and it clicked!"  So she made us promise we would take off her training wheels the next morning to see if she could ride her bike as easily.

Garrett got up early and took them off before work and then left.  When Rylynn woke up the first thing she did was run to the garage.  She jumped on her big bike and cruised around just as easily as the night before!  I couldn't believe it.  So basically we were robbed of the big moment of teaching our first child to ride a bike.  She took care of that all on her own.  That's our Rylynn.  I don't know why I was suprised by this event considering she is my child who at two years of age insisted on picking out her own clothes AND dressing herself no matter how long it took!

4 comments:

Carrie Anne said...

that is awesome! it's milestones like these that you're like, "stop growing already!" but it's so fun to do the bike rides, though!

don't worry that in all of this moving i am holding onto your story of moving up there. james is in cleveland setting up work...teaching, but it takes time! we just want to be living together, but things need to settle a bit. i just keep thinking about you moving there...it's so encouraging. i should just read your one post everyday, huh?
that campout looks like a lot of fun, too, and that tent is like a mansion! nice! you live in such beautiful country!

Jana said...

That is actually way amazing!! How did she do that??
I love our little perfectionist girls. I think they are so much alike, although I guarantee lily won't be hopping on a two-wheeler bike anytime soon. :)

Carissa Poyfair said...

She is so good at riding that bike! I am getting Olivia one for her birthday because she keeps talking about how Rylynn was riding hers so well.

Marilyn said...

That is pretty impressive. I remember being really hesitant as a kid to get the little training wheels off. She is quite the brave one!