Sunday, December 2, 2007

Red Paint Nightmare!

Okay so I know I already posted today, but I just had to blog about this awful thing that happened today. I figured it might be therapeutic to share it with the world, we'll see. So after church today I was supposed to take some paint and craft supplies home from the Relief Society closet since we are having a make up freaky friday night at my house on Tuesday. So of course, I forgot until we were 2 minutes away from our house so we had to turn around and go back to the church which is about 15 minutes away. So of course by the time we got there the closet was locked and there was no one who had a key around. Luckily the main paint I needed was left outside the closet. So I decided to take the three gallon sized cans to the car and then come back in and see if I could find anyone with a key. So as I went to open the door, I shifted one of the cans so that I could open the door while balancing the three gallons of paint, little did I know that the lids were not closed. So as you can imagine, Red, not the beige of course, but the bright Red paint shot out all over the door of the church, all over the carpet, all over my brand new sweater that I bought last night, all over my skirt, and my leather boots from London! It was one of those moments when I was so shocked and so overwhelmed that my first impression was just to run and never look back. Just as I was processing what had happened this poor guy from the next ward walked by minding his own business and saw me covered in paint with a look of terror on my face. I just looked at him and said, "um I have no idea what to do!" He then said, "Neither do I!" He was so nice though and as I ran to the bathroom to try and salvage my sweater, he ran and got the custodial supplies and began cleaning. Once I rinsed out my sweater, I just stuck my whole foot in the sink to try and save my boots. Then I ran out to the car and made Garrett give me his sweater so that I wasn't shirtless in the church. Then he being the wonderful husband that he is got out of the car, rolled up his dress shirt sleeves and started cleaning. Our kids were champions as they had to sit in the car for hours after three hours of church. They of course were starving, but luckily our van has a dvd player so they were entertained for awhile. Another nice guy missed all of his sacrament meeting to help us and Brandon Kofford also got down in his suit to help suck up the paint while he waited for tithing settlement. We got it cleaned as best we could and finally we had to go home and the guy from the other ward asked someone he knew to bring their carpet cleaner over to finish the job. I am so thankful for kind members of our church! I had never met the two guys that helped me, and they probably thought I was crazy, but it was so nice of them to help me. On the plus side, I tracked down the RS president from the next ward and she opened the closet for me so I was able to get all my supplies. When we got home it was 2:45pm and our church gets out at 12:00pm! What a nightmare. I did manage to save my sweater, and kind of my boots, but the skirt went straight into the trash, oh well.

9 comments:

Seriously... said...

Rachel...i'm so so so so sorry!!! that's horrible......I think you need a nice LONG enrichment break after thursday! speaking of,i wanted to run something by you...so i'll call you tomorrow...but if i space it, give me a call...
kendra

Jana said...

OH My GOSH! That is so terrible!! That is seriously a nightmare! The only funny part is picturing you saying "I have no idea what to do!" and the guy like "Neither do I!"
Hey- at least it makes for a good blogging story, right?

Carissa Poyfair said...

Honestly, it's one of those times when it happens you are like "Ahh!" but later it will be funny. Sorry about your skirt but I'm glad you got to fix the sweater. Now I can't wait to go to church on Thursday and see the scene! Yes, you definitely need an enrichment break!

B-Hams said...

Rachel! I would have started stammering obscenities, good on ya for keeping those words in! I am so bummed for you I hope everything was some what salvageable!

Bryan said...

OH NO!!! I'm so sorry Rachel! I probably would have burst into tears! I'm glad your sweater and boots are okay! WOW! I guess we'll excuse you from missing choir practice Sunday night! Ü HaHaHa! Just kidding!

Carrie Anne said...

At least you didn't swear...that's what I would've done.:) That's one of those things that you're like, "That did not JUST happen!!!!" You're a champ, and I'm glad you made something positive out of the experience...you're so great! So I need to to know what Freaky Friday is???

The Larsons said...

AHHHH! What a nightmare! That will be a story you never forget though! Want to know more about Freaky Friday!

Rachel said...

So Freaky Friday was our version of Super Saturday. We decided to do it on Friday so we could have it at night. 8:00-midnight because basically I am NOT a morning person and I was in charge, so I got to choose. It was great and we did lots of fun crafts. Sign boards, magnet boards, hooded towels, cute magnets, lots of fun stuff.

Janelle said...

Okay, this is a terrible thing that happened, but it's a really great story. I laughed so hard. I feel bad about your boots and skirt, though.