Friday, April 18, 2008

Gender stereotypes



So I was a sociology major for a while at BYU, I ended up getting a minor in it, but the school of thought behind gender differences in Sociology is that they are purely socially constructed. So for instance we impose from the day that they are born that boys wear blue and girls wear pink clothes, etc. Well I think it is funny now that I am a mom of a girl and a boy to see how all these theories play out in my own children. So the other day I had to laugh because Carter has NEVER sat and watched any show or movie for more than 10 seconds before he gets bored and runs out of the room. Rylynn is more of a TV girl, but Carter has no interest in it. That is until the other day. Rylynn was watching Thomas during Carter's nap and when he woke up I brought him in to sit with Rylynn and me. I was totally shocked when he looked at the TV, pointed and started laughing and dancing! He ended up watching it for 20 minutes which is amazing for him! So I think it is a little humorous since I have never encouraged or promoted trains to him and yet he naturally loves that show! He also has always loved balls and anything that has to do with sports (that has been encouraged by Daddy though:). He carries Garrett's golf clubs around and tries to swing them at things on the ground (usually his binkies). I will say however that Rylynn loved balls too and she loves Thomas too, so who knows. I definitely believe there are some eternal differences, but it is very interesting for me to see how many of the stereotypes are proven and disproven by my little girl and boy. Luckily my kids are growing up in a world with lots of opportunities for both of them and I truly believe they can choose to do whatever they want to do. I am just loving having one of each!

8 comments:

Carissa Poyfair said...

That's funny that he "knew" he was supposed to like trains. Jack likes Disney Princess, so he definitely needs to spend more time with Carter. I love Carter's dancing too. You need to get that on video, him dancing to Thomas!

Carrie Anne said...

That's so funny and SO TRUE! For a while, Rebecca dictated that red was her color and blue was Brother's color, and for the longest time he would not eat anything RED because of her! It still comes out here and there!

Happy Home said...

It will be fun for me to see what Courtney picks up on as she will be raised in the land of crazy boys! I will say though, Luke and Jacob frequently fight over the pink plate and I have not told them that pink is a "girl color."

Happy Home said...

By the way, "rock hard muscles"...HA! I'll let you know when I'm in that good of shape! Until then I will practice self restraint and not eat ice cream:)

Summer said...

Too true! Girls and boys really are wired differently! I've tried and tried to my Andrew and Logan my shopping buddies, but NO! Hopefully Hannah will have the shopping gene in her!

Natalie said...

Your kids are seriously so cute. How fun to have one of each. Bradoc definitely came loving all things balls, trains, etc, but he also loves to have his hair done!

Marilyn said...

Rachel,
Thanks for your comment on my blog. Your blog is really cute too! It is really interesting how kids have such a natural tendecy towards things especially girls with a purse fetish at about age 2!!! Crazy, but interesting!

Brittany said...

With two girls I don't really have the chance to make the distinction, but that is really funny. They just know these things.