Wednesday, October 22, 2008
Cooking adventure, not so much
So I was complaining to my wonderful husband today that I am sick of EVERYTHING I usually cook and I really didn't want to plan the menu of meals for this week because nothing sounds good to me at all! (no I am not pregnant:) So he was so sweet and went online and came up with a great surprise dinner for us and we made a shopping list together and he went to the store while I entertained the kids. Well unfortunately, he got home at 5pm which is when we usually eat and as we all know cooking a new dish takes a little longer than usual. So I was helping in any way that I could and finally he just had to blow the surprise and tell me that we were having PF Chang's lettuce wraps, mongolian beef, and fried rice so that I could help speed up the process. I was so excited because I have totally been craving PF Chang's lately. (again, not pregnant) So we were both frantically reading recipes and making our dishes while the kids got hungrier by the minute. We gave them a couple hold me over snacks, but those only last for so long. They played together well for awhile, but then everything got a little crazy. Next thing you know Carter has the huge hot chocolate canister upside down and there is chocolate powder everywhere! Then to make things worse Rylynn thought it was hilarious and started running through it and then proceeded to lick the chocolate off her feet. So we both yelled at the kids to stop while still cooking. Finally the lettuce wraps were done so I sat down with the kids and started eating while Garrett finished up the rice and beef. They were really good, but the kids kind of just picked at the lettuce not really knowing how to eat them. Then the beef came out which they loved! They ate a ton of that, but then Carter decided he was done and started chucking food everywhere. I knew he would love the rice if he would just wait a minute so I tried to tell him that more food was coming and to STOP throwing food at me. Then he threw his fork across the table right at my head. Luckily the rice was done now and as I suspected he loved it. So finally Garrett got to sit down and eat with us. Carter and Rylynn ate the rice just fine for a couple of minutes until the rice started flying across the table again from Carter!!! At this point we got him out of his high chair stripped him down and put him in the bath and we really never had a minute to enjoy the meal together. Rylynn followed suit and hopped into the bath too. Garrett went in with them while I started cleaning up the disaster which was our kitchen. He told them that they really needed to be careful not to splash too much and that he needed to come help me for a minute. Luckily got a lot done pretty quickly working together, but apparently it was a little too long for the kids. They had of course made a huge mess in the bath and not obeyed Garrett so they were out of the tub and in jammies right away. The good news was that they totally wore themselves out and they were both asleep before 8pm. Garrett and I finished cleaning up the kitchen and both agreed that next time we will just fork out the 30 dollars and get take out. Don't get me wrong, it was good, but soooo not worth all the time and craziness. Oh well, on the bright side, it was fun to work with my cute husband in the kitchen; we don't get to do that a ton. Thanks for the thought honey!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
It sounds exhausting and frustrating, but I have to laugh at Carter and Rylynn - they sound like such a team of rascals - best buddies. How cute! Hopefully you and Gare got to relax a little bit after the kiddos went to bed.
Hey- when you do decide to go to PF Changs, just let us know! Sorry you didn't get to enjoy what sounded like an awesome meal. Next time just send the kiddos down for some play time (they'll work up an appetite!)
Wow! Glad they appreciated all your hard work to make a gourmet meal! Memories!
Ha Ha!! I totally could picture the fun in your kitchen. You are an amaizing cook and your family is so lucky to have you. However, you can buy lettuce wraps at Costco. I actually like them better than PF Changs. They are like 11.00 for two dinners. YUMMY!!
We like Potstickers from Costco! They also have good frozen Orange Chicken....gotta love the kidos! You have such patients! I'd either be freaking out or crying! J/K! Love the Falls trip photos. We tried to go once, and the weather fought us the whole way. I am so there for the movie premier! I think we should wear matching shirts, or dress as different characters-you have that one in the bag! WHY is there no pictures of your Halloween costumes??? You should submit photos of them to some websites. I'm sure they do that somewhere... You guys would totally win!
Post a Comment