Monday, October 19, 2009

He Passed!!! (And Other Exciting News)

I am happy to announce that Garrett PASSED the BAR exam!  It took for stinkin ever to get the results but today they finally came!!!  Though Garrett had several anxiety attacks in the last few days, I never doubted him for a second.  Congratulations, honey!  We are so proud of you!

Now for the really, really exciting news!  Garrett is opening his own law firm on November 2nd!  He has been planning and preparing since early in September.  We realized in September that we had been pushing this idea off over and over again hoping that a job would come along and then we thought maybe there is a reason that this idea keeps coming up over and over again.  So we just decided to go for it!  From that point on miracles have been happening left and right.  We feel so blessed and know that this is the path that the Lord has set out for us from the beginning, it just took us awhile to figure out His plan and forget ours.  Among many other miracles, we found a great building in Liberty Lake and got a fabulous deal on the lease.  The inside was just a vanilla shell so we got to design the layout and we have been able to watch them build it out step-by-step.  Here are some pictures of the office...




This is the waiting room/reception area.  The window in the wall looks into the conference room.



This is the hallway from the back of the office looking towards the lobby.  There is a conference room, an office for Garrett, and then a second office/copy room.  Then in the back there is a kitchen area and bathroom.


This is Garrett's office.

Obviously there is still a bit of work to do, but everyday they get closer.  We get to pick out the paint and carpet this week.  We are getting so excited!!  There is currently no lawyer in all of Liberty Lake which has a population of about 17,000 people so the client to lawyer ratio is amazing.  We just feel so blessed to see how every door has been opened to us.  It seems like every person we come in contact with after learning that Garrett is opening this office tells him that they have some legal work that they would love for him to do.  We will keep you all posted as the progress continues but for now you can check out his website here.  Thank you ALL for the support and prayers during the Bar, it definitely paid off!  Now we're off to celebrate!

UPDATE:

The Bar Association provides for a formal swearing-in ceremony for all the new lawyers, but you have to wait a few weeks.  As Garrett hates formal ceremonies and is in a hurry to get started, he drove to the courthouse after getting his results and managed to get a judge to swear him in as a lawyer on the same day he received his results.  Here are some pictures:


This is Garrett taking the oath.


This is Garrett shaking hands with Superior Court Judge Harold D. Clarke.

He is an official lawyer now and we are so proud of him!

19 comments:

Jana said...

That is SOOOO awesome!!! I am thrilled for you guys! What a great idea to start your own firm!! We now consider Garrett our official lawyer and will use him for all of our legal needs :) So awesome!!!

Abigayle said...

yea dad! (robin hood quote) Good job garrett! Now begins the era of you sticking it to the man with all of your new found power... mmm power hahaha... mmmpower.
I'm sure you'll use it wisely. Also, if I ever get another ticket, you know who I'm calling.

Let the Good Times Roll said...

First off, that is hilarious that Garrett went and got sworn in today! Second, CONGRATULATIONS GARRETT!!! That is SO EXCITING. We are so happy for you. Luckily my brother passed as well and we have his swearing in little thing tomorrow. He found out over a month ago - weird how different states have results at different times. Anyway, also congrats about starting your own firm. That is exciting. Good luck on everything.

Adam said...

Great Job Garrett!!

Tell me where I can write a testimonal on your website. I consider our friendship as a legal partnership between a client (me) and my lawyer (you).

WAAAAAYYYYY TOOOOOO GOOOOO!

Carissa Poyfair said...

Yeah Garrett! See you haven't changed much when it comes to formal ceremonies. Glad you're still the same ol' Garrett, even if you are stuffy lawyer now. Congrats! The new website looks really good too!

Michael and Emily said...

Congrats Garrett!! That's so exciting! I can't wait to see what legal issues Grandma comes up with for you... :)

Jennifer said...

Such awesome news!! Congratulations to your family! And to you Garrett!

The Miche's said...

Congrats Garrett that is so awesome! HOw exciting about the firm I can't wait to see the finished office and here how everything goes!

Danielle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Danielle said...

That is such AWESOME news! We knew Garrett was going to pass but it is still so cool to know it's official. Way to go Garrett! I can't wait to see your office completely done..maybe we'll just have to come and see it in person :O)

Adam said...

I've been thinking about it, and I think I am going to steal something. . .you know. . .to drum up business.

Draper's said...

Way to go!! That is such great news!! I am so glad everything is going so wonderful!

Grandma Julie said...

Wonderful. Great news. We are all so happy for all of you. Good luck in your new adventure. I certainly know where to come for a good and honest lawyer.

Meg said...

Congratulations! That is SO cool, and I LOVE the pictures of the office! It's a far cry from the old buildings in Cleveland!

Summer said...

OH my gosh!!! What exciting news! Congrats on passing the Bar Garrett! The new office looks great so far. You'll have to post pics when it's finished. I'm so glad things are just falling into place for you! So cool!

Hurst Family said...

That really is so Rad! Congrats!
Good luck with everything!

Alison Day said...

Wow! That is SO awesome! I get really excited for guys, and somewhat jealous, when I look at the website! Very professional! I worked for a solo attorney in Heber City and worked with some software called "Amicus." It is a pretty good one you might want to consider. Then again, that was 7 years ago and they may have something better now. Anyway, keep us updated on how everything goes!

sara said...

Congratulations Garrett! That's awesome. Lots of sacrifice built into that swearing in ceremony. Good luck with the private practice. Can't wait to hear how things go. I'm so glad things are working out for you guys. Keep us posted.

Mom Marilynn said...

Wow! It blows my mind! You are officially now my favorite lawyer! I feel like we all have so much more power now too, just knowing we have a real live, for real, lawyer in our family! How awesome! We always knew you would do it, but how great to have it done! Since I gave you your wife, I'm counting on that lifelong family discount! Congratulations!