Monday, February 6, 2012

baa finky, nangamie, and baynkee

The children in this family love their blankets so I thought it was high time to do a post dedicated to those wonderful little comforters!
First came Nangamie.  We don't really know why Rylynn called her blanky nangamie but that was the name she came up with when she was 1.  She got this pretty pink blankey from my voice teacher and mentor growing up, Melanie Jensen.  I loved her so much and her daughter was my flower girl at our wedding.  So when she threw me a baby shower she gave me this blanket and told me that she had one for each of her kids and they couldn't live without them.  Well that proved to be true for Rylynn too so we ended up buying her an alternate so we could wash it and never be without it.  When Rylynn got older she discovered the awesome reality that she actually had two and she sleeps with both every night.  These blankets have held up really well too so I guess they are worth the 18 bucks that they sell them for.
Next came Baa finky.  Carter actually had some other little blankets before Baa finky, but none of them stuck like baa finky.  He loved the really thin, soft blankets from Target but we kept loosing them and then one day my friend Ali Day in Ohio stopped by with some things she was getting rid of and as I was looking through her trunk, Carter spotted Baa finky and fell in love instantly!  So from that moment on, he couldn't live without it.  Unfortunately, it was really thin (one piece of flannel) and has had rip after rip until finally I realized we needed to take drastic measures or baa finky would be no more.  
So I first sewed some white flannel backing on so I could repair all the terrible rips and shreds.  Then I covered the back with the really soft, minky fabric that is on the back of Rylynn's blankey and which is very durable! Also very expensive as it turns out:) Yay for 50% off coupons at Jo-Anns!

Carter is thrillled!!  And now there is hope that baa finky will last through many more years of loving and cuddling.
I have a feeling baynkee isn't going to be as lucky.  I can't figure out a way to save this thing because it is woven and it's ripped in two.  That is because Beckett used to bite this blankey until it got an enormous whole in the middle and finally just ripped in two.  This became his blankey after he lost his original blankey which was actually my blankey as a child.  It was white with red and blue little berries on it and we lost it at our last house.  He loved this one though because he could get wrapped up in it even in the summer and not be too hot since there are tiny holes in it.  
I'm not really that worried though since Beckett actually has 4 blankets.  Can you tell he is the spoiled youngest child?  He has haiplane (airplane) blankey, quack quack blankie (which I made for Rylynn before she was born and has been passed from child to child), Nana blankey, and other one baynkee(the one that is ripped in two).  He often carries all four, well five if you count both halves of baynkee, around with him.  I think maybe Beckett has four because he never took a binkie like Rylynn and Carter did.  Since he had bad acid reflux he would just gag on them so his blankets were his only comfort object.

Well I have to admit I never thought I would have blankie babies since no one in my family really cared about their blankies that much but I am happy they are!  It is so cute to me that they have these little blankies to comfort them and know that everything is okay in their little world.  So now I have the blankies documented for posterity.  Now I just have to find the perfect blanket for baby number 4!  Oh and that baby will be arriving September 5th so I better get a move on:)  See I have had a good excuse for being such a blog slacker the last month!


9 comments:

Anja said...

your prego! congrats! how exciting for you and your cute family!

Ashley said...

Yay! I am so excited for you guys! Congratulations!

jessica said...

i am so impressed with how quickly you fixed baa finky! seriously! that nesting is in full force already...bring on the couch baby! let's get'er done ;)

ssh said...

beckett's bitten blanket is hilarious!! i think you need a sewing machine :)

Sarah said...

Congrats! I'm excited for you"

Draper's said...

That is the cutest post!! You are such a darling mom!! I love that they love their blankets. Yay!!! I am so happy for you!! #4 that is awesome!!

Michael and Emily said...

Congrats Rach!! How exciting for #4!!

Jana said...

Embarrassing fact: I still have my blankie, and may or may not still sleep with it. Eric always throws it off the bed :) So naturally...all my children are blankie children, I love it.
And congrats!!!! You're going for #4 huh. :) Brave parents! I think I'll get there someday.

Carissa Poyfair said...

All my kids have their blankets still but Olivia has outgrown hers (so sad!). And OMG I read this a while ago but must have skipped the last part. CONGRATS! I knew there was a reason you told me you updated your blog :)!!!