Friday, February 15, 2013

Basketball Madness

We caught the Bball bug here in our house!  Rylynn and Carter really wanted to sign up for teams this winter so we gave that to them as one of their Christmas gifts.  They were both really excited!  Garrett got to coach Rylynn's team which was really fun for everyone.  
Beckett of course had to be included so he would frequently steal Sissy's ball until we finally gave in and bought him one of his own.  I love the Michael Jordan tongue action in this pic:)
We would frequently have dribbling drills in the kitchen.  Gotta love hardwood floors.  The funny thing is this totally reminded me of my house growing up.  Jordan was always dribbling through the kitchen.
Rylynn had to be number 8 since she is turning 8 soon and since it is the best age, according to her, since that's when you can get baptized.  Her really good friend Annie was also on the team and she made another friend, Ruth.  They were the only girls on the team.  She did such a good job of learning the basics and improved so much each game.  The last game of the season she took 4 shots (2 of them were free throws) and they were so close.  She also got lots of rebounds and stole the ball.  She was so much more aggressive.  After the first game I had to explain to her that she was allowed to go up and just take the ball away from someone when they were dribbling.  She looked at me and said, "Mom that is not allowed!"  It was so fun for me to be able to explain the game and tell her stories of my bball days.  I did tell her that I hated my first team I played on (when I was 6) because it was co-ed too and the boys never passed to the girls.  She had the same annoyance.  We are going to find an all girls league next year so she can really get into the game.  
These two little guys were the team cheerleaders!  This picture cracks me up because Beckett insisted on wearing a jersey like Sissy and Carter but we didn't have another one so he got this old football jersey of Garrett's out of the dress ups:)  He looked so funny, but he felt like one of the team members so it was worth it. He usually had to sit through back to back games every Saturday and he was such a good sport about it.
Carter is number 1.  I loved watching the little guys play:)  They were so clueless half of the time.  Carter had already played a lot at recess so he had the shooting and dribbling ideas down but it took awhile to figure out the switching off between offense and defense.  Towards the end of the first game he clearly got bored and started skipping back and forth down the court:)  Garrett had to explain to him nicely that skipping was not allowed in bball!  He got it figured out pretty quickly once we gave him incentives like a dollar for every basket he made or an in and out burger if he took at least 2 shots.  He is totally our reward driven child.  The last game of the season he made a key shot and his team one by one basket!  It was so exciting!
Carter loved practicing with Rylynn's team throughout the season since Garrett was the coach.  He is warming up with her team in this picture.
Meanwhile throughout January and February this little man kept growing like a weed.  The above picture is when he is 4 months old and the bottom is 5 months.  Rylynn adores her baby brother and he gives her the best giggles.
I seriously love this boys blue eyes!  I think he is going to keep them because Carter's were the same vibrant blue and he is my only blue eyed child.  The other two had that dull blue that every baby has and then they both changed to green.  We shall see but I'm hoping he keeps them.
Carter is taking more and more of an interest in this little man too.  Dallas loves his siblings and it is so fun to see him smile and laugh at them.  
My little bookworm reading to Dallas!  He was totally enthralled.  Unfortunately it always ends with him wanting to eat the book:)
On his 5 month birthday we decided to give in and buy another exersaucer.  Ours got destroyed in one of the past 4 moves so we left it in Spokane.  Danielle let me borrow her jumperoo but the doorways are so high in my parent's house that it is more like a sailing swing for him.  His legs never touch the ground and I had to have something in the kitchen that would entertain him while I cook.  
You can tell he was a big fan of the new toy!  He is such a happy little baby.  He laughs and squeals all day long.  This past week he came down with RSV and an ear infection and I knew he was really sick but I almost didn't take him in because through it all he was still smiling and laughing throughout the day.  I finally gave in when he basically could not breath and it was very good that I did.  He had to get all suctioned out at the respiratory clinic which was soooo sad but he slept so well and has been getting better so quickly.  The doctor gave him antibiotics for his ear infection too but after three days he had a really bad night and in the morning there was tons of junk all over his ear and side of his face.  So I'm pretty positive his ear drum burst even with the antibiotics.  All of my kids have had at least one rupture.  It is no surprise to me since mine burst several times as a kid, but it makes me so sad when it happens to my babies.  All I know is this kid has a very high tolerance for pain because this sickness barely fazed him.  He is one happy boy!

No comments: