Thursday, July 24, 2008

Family Reunion at Zions


Last weekend we went to a family reunion for my mom's side of the family; the Allreds. We had a blast. My mom and Grandma picked out this awesome ranch to stay at called Zion Ponderosa Ranch. We got our own cabin with tons of rooms and we all stayed together. It was so much fun to see my cousins and their kids. Unfortunately Garrett and I and my parents were the only ones who made it from my family, but I guess that's how it goes when gas is $4.35 a gallon!

This is my cousin Jenny with her new baby Kaleb. What a cutie!

The first night we were there we had a family line dance. We had an awesome instructor and danced to a lot of songs. I was very impressed with my family's dancing abilities! I luckily got out of dancing because Rylynn wanted to go over to the petting zoo. Any of you who know me well knows that I am not the greatest dancer! Rylynn loved the petting zoo. They had chickens, ducks, goats, pigs, horses, and rabbits.

After the dancing we had a big bonfire and roasted marshmallows. Somehow in the confusion of unpacking all the food we lost the marshmallows though so it was a little hard at first. Luckily our awesome group leader(the dance instructor) had some and gave them to us to use, then my dad found the big bag after all.

The next day was the family olympics which I was in charge of running! It was a daunting task but someone had to do it:) My mom and I came up with the games and it was a lot of fun! We split up into six teams of four for the competition!

We had a watermelon eating contest.

Three-legged race


Tug of war which was by far the most competive! Can ya tell?

And my favorite, a game my mom and I just made up where you have to bob for an orange in a bucket of water and place the orange on a spoon without using your hands, then run down to the opposite line and back without dropping the orange. The catch is if you drop the orange while running you have to pick it up without using your hands. My cousin Paul is the only one who dropped it and he had a mouth full of dirt to show for it. He is a great sport! We all got soaked on this one and then the next two games involved water balloons so in the end it turned into a huge water fight which was nice since it was so hot!


This is what Carter did the entire olympics, eat leftover watermelon, drop it in the dirt, pick it up and eat it some more. He even talked his cousin into joining him. That kid lives for food!

After the olympics we headed off to the pool to cool down. It was a huge pool with two water slides. The kids had a blast, and it was fun for the parents too!

Cute Kaleb hangin out in the sun.

That night we had a patriotic dinner put on by Grandma Allred in honor of my Grandpa.

After dinner, we sang patriotic songs, watched wedding videos from cousins that got married this summer, watched a memorial movie for my cousin that past away this summer, and watched a movie of an internship my cousin had in St. Lucia. Then we had a tribute to my grandpa where all the aunts shared stories of their father and the cousins shared stories of grandpa.

Grandma shared a few stories of her own and gave us each a booklet of stories and pictures from their life as well as a dvd. It was a very special night.

The whole gang on the last day. We had a blast!

10 comments:

Let the Good Times Roll said...

Wow Rach, that reunion looked amazing. What a fun week and great job with the Olympics!

sara said...

Wow. You guys sure know how to do a family reunion. Looks like it was a blast. I'll have to remember all your ideas for games, they looked so fun.

Carissa Poyfair said...

Can I hire you to plan our next family reunion? Yours looks like a lot of fun! Glad you had a blast although I'm a little grossed out about Carter's choice in watermelon... dirt? Gross! How does that kid not gain any weight?! See you soon!

ssh said...

fun! alice is still looking good! go alice!

Carrie Anne said...

that looks like tons of fun! how awesome!

all that i love said...

I check your blog every now and again and I noticed that you guys went to Zion Ponderosa Ranch. Warren and I went there on our anniversay 6 years ago and it was really fun. We didn't have any kids at the time. I would love to take our family there. Are you enjoying your time in Utah? Warren and I miss it and can't visit enough.

Brittany said...

That sounds like so much fun... I honestly can't remember that last time I went to a family reunion. Sad , really!!!

Adam said...

Cleveland. . . It's coming. . . Come back to us!!!!

Ben and Laurie said...

What a cool reunion! I love the setting and the activities you had planned. I agree with Carissa--can I hire you to plan our's when it is my turn?

Carrie Anne said...

I'm assuming the reason you have not posted is b/c you are reading Breaking Dawn!!!!!!! I can't wait to read it!!! Is it Edward or Jacob? What is happening????