My neighbor told us about the Memorial day parade on Saturday so I had told the kids all weekend that we were going to go to a parade on Monday and get candy and see a band play and see fire trucks! As you can imagine, they were so excited. So Monday morning we got all ready and I loaded the kids up in the stroller and we headed down the street to the parade. Then I started to notice a lot of people walking towards us with bags of candy and camping chairs. Not a good sign! So I asked one of the ladies if the parade was already over?! She said it was and that it is really short now but if we hopped in the car right then we might be able to catch up with it and see the end. So we raced over to where the parade ends and saw one float and one fire truck drive by. It was very disappointing! The whole rest of the day Rylynn and Carter both kept saying, "that's so sad we missed the parade!" So since I had promised them candy all weekend I took them to the grocery store and bought them each some candy, not exactly as exciting as a parade, but what do you do.
On the way home we past the cemetery. It was lined with hundreds of flags and Rylynn said she really wanted to go see them.
I was so glad she did because it was really neat to get out and walk along the rows of the veterans and see which wars they had served in and explain to the kids the meaning of this holiday.
I got to tell them about my grandpas and how they served to protect our freedoms and keep our country safe. There were a lot of people there observing the holiday and it was really cool to stop and pay respect to the thousands of men and women who have so bravely served our country.
Later that day we decided to go to the zoo with Ben, Molly, and Babo Reagan! It was lots of fun even though I was having braxton hicks the whole time. Ben and Molly were so nice to help me with the stroller, but by the end the kids were insisting that I push even though I tried to tell them it was not good for the baby. Oh well.
Carter was loving the monkeys and the gorillas in this picture and refused to turn around long enough to smile for a picture.
This was a cheetah that came right up to us. Carter kept calling it a tiger. Actually, every cat we saw was a tiger according to him.
After the zoo we were all exhausted! We came home and had a bbq in Ben and Molly's newly spruced up back yard. It was lots of fun and the kids got filthy. After such a long and eventful day we all slept very well!
No comments:
Post a Comment