Monday, March 1, 2010

The Symphony

We got to go on our Valentine's date on Saturday to the Symphony downtown.  It was AMAZING!!  We were on the third row and could see every move the conductor made.  We were right up close to the cello and base section and that was so awesome because they are usually the parts that you can kind of miss since they are so low.  I was completely inspired by the musical abilities of these amazing artists.  The music was all Russian composers.  Rachmaninoff has always been a favorite of Garrett's and we got to see his second piano concerto performed by an amazing pianist.  I honestly was floored that any human being could play that piece of music with their hands.  What dedication and hard work must have gone into developing such a talent.  We also heard some Tchaikovsky which I loved and some Arenski variations of Tchaikovsky.  They were all beautiful, but I have to say my favorite, surprisingly, was the Arenski variations.  I say surprisingly because I had never heard of him before that night.  It was so moving and so haunting in parts.  There really is nothing quite like being at a symphony and feeling the music come up through your feet and pierce your very core.  It really is a physical experience in person.  While listening to the beautiful music, I looked around at each musician and was just struck by how loving our Heavenly Father is to create such talented and gifted people on this earth so that they can share their talents for the sole purpose of creating joy and beauty in the lives of others.  It was such a fun night and the kids did great for the babysitter which made it even better.  We were able to leave Beckett for the first time and he slept the whole time like a champ.  Thanks honey for such an amazing night!!

6 comments:

Summer said...

Sounds fantastic! We haven't been to the symphony for a while. We really should see the Cleveland Orchestra before we leave!

Carissa Poyfair said...

I have never been to the symphony before! It sounded like so much fun. Garrett spoiled you this year!

Danielle said...

That sounds incredible! Now that I am trying to learn to play the Piano, I have new appreciation for those who play so masterfully! What a cool present... I am so glad you had a great night :O)

Garrett said...

Just to clarify...this was NOT for Valentine's Day! I did NOTHING for Valentine's Day because Valentine's Day is a nothing "holiday". This was a random act of love motivated, not by a pre-set arbitrary day in which I am responsible to show love or end up in the doghouse, but by a genuine desire to express my love to and enjoy a lovely evening with my beautiful wife. It could have been a day in July or October - it just so happened that this particular performance was on February 27th, which is precariously close to that loathsome "holiday".

Yes, I do feel better now. :)

Abigayle said...

Thank you, Garrett for sticking it to the cherubs. Rachmaninoff's 2nd piano concerto is also one of my favs. To me, if you had to describe what love sounded like, it would sound like the last third of that piece. A lovely choice for expressing your love.

Carrie Anne said...

first of all...love garrett's explanation...i am dying!:)
i LOVE that you guys love the symphony so much & appreciate the musicians & their development & hard work they've put countless hours into. i feel so alive when i go to the symphony...i just love it! it's so invigorating!